Maui Girl

These stories from Donna Austin come from her rich Maui history and heritage.

22 October 2006

Chapter 3: Rose Cools Off

The song ended and Tony walked Rose back to where her family was sitting. “Thank you for the dance, Rose. I enjoyed it. I want you to know, I’m going to change your mind for you someday.”
Mary and Flora giggled and Lydia and Virginia whispered to
each other as Rose sat down with flaming cheeks and a glare for her audience.
Her father asked, “What’s the matter Rose? Don’t you like Tony? He’s a nice boy. I know his father. He’s a hard worker. He comes from a family of good honest people. They come from the Madeira Islands. Tony was born there and came here when he was two years old.”
“I’m sure his family is very nice, but I think Tony is too forward.” said Rose.
“Oh, I think he is just acting that way because he really likes you and doesn’t know what to do. Keep an open mind. You might find out he’s not so bad.” Her father said.
Just as Rose’s cheeks began to cool, Joâo walked up to he father and asked, “May I ask Rose for this dance?”
Rose’s father turned to her inquiringly and seeing her closed expression, said laughingly, “Sure, go ahead and ask, but it is up to her.”
Joâo masterfully took her in his arms and whirled her away in a dreamy waltz. Her feet felt like they were not touching the ground but dancing on clouds. His dark eyes flashed as he said, “I love you Rose. I know this is the real thing. I am not joking, I’m serious.”
“Rose’s face flushed with embarrassment. “I can’t believe you are ever serious about anything. You just like to flirt with all the girls. You are in love with love!”
He laughed and said, “You’re right. Love is wonderful. It makes me feel so good, so tall, so strong, so happy and so alive. I see the ocean, the fields, the cattle with a new light. The light of love makes me see everything in perspective and I owe it all to you.”
“I saw you dancing and laughing with Tony’s sister, Adelina, a while ago. Did you tell her the same thing? Countered Rose.
“I like her a lot. She’s beautiful and such a nice girl and my best friend’s sister. But I never told her what I’ve told you” He solemnly promised with a twinkle in his eye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home