Maui Girl

These stories from Donna Austin come from her rich Maui history and heritage.

16 October 2006

Chapter 3: Tony or Joao

Rose had barely recovered from that surprise meeting with Tony when she looked up into the handsome laughing face of Joâo.
“We’re together at last,” he said. “I haven’t been able to think of anything else since I met the lovely girl with a seashell by the shore. My heart is gone and there is a terrible ache there in that spot.”
“I don’t believe your story at all,” Rose responded laughingly. “You certainly tell a good tale.”
Then the caller for the Chamarita, boomed out his next order and everyone switched again.
Rose danced for hours, feeling exhilarated and happy. There were slow dances and fast ones too. There were Portuguese dances and modern waltzes. Rose danced with her father, her brother, Manuel, and her brother, Jose. Her head was still swirling from a fast polka she had danced with her brother, Joe, when Tony came up with a girl at his side.
Addressing Rose’s brother Jose, Tony said, “Hello Joe, I’d like you to meet my sister, Adelina. She is dying to dance with you and I’d love to dance with Rose.”
Before Rose knew what was happening, she was in Tony’s arms dancing a waltz. For some reason, Rose had trouble breathing and she felt terribly shy and tongue tied. She didn’t know what to say to this tall golden haired boy man. “Can we be friends?” He pleaded.
“Why should my being friends with you be so important”, countered Rose with another question of her own.
“Because I’m going to marry you someday, if Joâo doesn’t get you first.” He answered seriously.
“Well you don’t have to worry about Joâo, because I’m not going to marry him,” she said emphatically, adding, “or you either for that matter.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home