Maui Girl

These stories from Donna Austin come from her rich Maui history and heritage.

12 February 2007

Joao and Adelina's Wedding

Rose managed to get through the ceremony and the festivities without a tear. Tony stayed by her side all day conscientiously supplying her with food and punch, conversation, and a constant companionship. Ordinarily this would have annoyed Rose, but today, she was grateful for his attentive company.
It was a big festive wedding with all the Portuguese families in the area attending. The Silva’s’ were a popular family and well liked. Rose saw Gus among the ranch hands. He came over to her and Tony.
“Say, it is nice to see you two again. Thank you for all your help. I don’t know what I would have done if I hadn’t run across you in the Iao Valley. Gus’s face glowed with health and happiness. “I keep busy and I like to think I’m useful to the Silva’s ranch. How have the two of you been? When are you both going to marry? We can always use another wedding around here.” Gus laughed and his teeth flashed in his tanned face.
As Rose blushed, Tony answered for them. “I’m working on it Gus. Keep your fingers crossed that I can persuade Rose!” The two men shook hands and exchanged jokes and news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home